1) Determine if you want to achieve certification in the short or long-term. This will help you determine which level to pursue now, or in the future.
2) Review the Requirements – the requirements of the 3 levels to determine where your current experience and responsibilities best align.
3) Reading the Handbook is fundamental to getting a complete understanding of certification requirements and renewal requirements for each level, and how the certification process works. Download your copy of the Certification Handbook here.
4) Nine Core Competencies – Become familiar with the “Nine Core Competencies” of SPHM; the subject areas important for experience and education for all levels. These competencies or “skills” form the basis of professional SPHM practice and inform the application and examination requirements. Please note, that each level does not require complete knowledge or experience in all nine areas. Listed on the first page of each application, and in the Handbook, is an explanation of which of these competencies is expected for each of the 3 levels.
5) Complete the Appropriate Application – This step enables you to see any gaps that you may have in the fulfillment of requirements. For example, for “Required SPHM Work Experience” you may need to work a longer length of time to fulfill this requirement.
6) Obtain a Certification Mentor – A Mentor will not only answer your questions, but can also review your Draft application and supporting documentation. This helps ensure you to fulfill all the requirements and your application is complete. They can also explain how best to prepare for an examination, if for the C or P level. To be connected with a mentor, please complete our Request a Mentor form.
7) Work Toward Your Goal – Work consistently, at your own pace, towards your goal. You have an increased probability of reaching your certification goal if you set a target date, and continuously work towards it. Steady progress is effective at achieving personal and professional objectives.